Yes we do, you can drive in New Zealand without a New Zealand driver licence if:
- You have a current and valid overseas licence or driver permit, and
- You haven't been given disqualification or suspension in New Zealand
- You came into New Zealand less than 12 months ago
- Your overseas licence is in English, or you have an accurate translation, and you haven't been granted a New Zealand driver licence since you last entered New Zealand.
There is a time limit on how long you can drive here
You can drive for a maximum period of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand.
What vehicles can I drive on my overseas licence?
As the holder of a valid and current overseas driver licence, you are considered to hold a New Zealand driver licence of a class that allows you to drive the motor vehicles you are allowed to drive under your overseas licence.
Example: If you have a full overseas car licence (equivalent to a New Zealand class 1), you can drive a car or light vehicle with a gross laden weight of no more than 6000kg
- Your overseas licence has expired or is suspended, revoked or disqualified in the country of issue
- You have had a 28 day suspension, been served a suspension for demerit points or been disqualified by the courts in New Zealand
If you have any queries regarding the type of your license please contact the team on 0800 779 779